What's the German word for "Teriyaki"?

My first full day in Berlin, wasn’t quite as full of adventure as I would have thought. While my sleeping habits had me waking up with the sunrise that Saturday morning, the same was not true of Doug and Elise. The more than three hour wait had me dying for a cup of strong German coffee, the kind my Dad is always nostalgic about, and a pastry. When they finally woke up, got ready, and went out and about--it was close to noon!

We decided to search the streets near the hostel for a quaint place to soothe our monstrous appetites. Cafes aplenty, sure, but not a single "German" traditional restaurant. In fact, a majority of the establishments were Asian food.

Well, there was Andy's Wurscht Palast, but apparently Elise and Doug had already had "curry hotdogs" and were in the mood for something else.





Along the way I spotted "Gandalf"...I can only wonder what that was.


So after a long search, we ended up eating at some Asian fusion place using rudimentary hand signals to try and order from a Filipino-German. Unable to read a single word on the menu, I just pointed to something and smiled, hoping it would be delicious--whatever it was.

The man got to work on our orders and I finally got a taste of what appeared to be some kind of duck covered in something over something. Whatever, I had hardly eaten in days and it wasn't half bad.




We strolled back to the hostel, though I was completely unsatisfied with not having a German meal of some kind. This, as you will see, would continue as a point of duress for a while.

After our little adventure, I returned to the hostel and did what I've done best since arrive in Germany--sleep.

(I swear this will actually get exciting at some point.)

1 comments:

Unknown said...

There is no German word for Teriyaki, it is simply Teriyaki. :)